350 Chev to 400 Small Block

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Oct 31 00:26:42 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: David Sagers <dsagers at ci.west-valley.ut.us>
To: DIY_EFI at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <DIY_EFI at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Friday, October 30, 1998 7:02 PM
Subject: 350 Chev to 400 Small Block

>Looking for someone with experience modifying and setting up a TBI fuel
injection system.

Might find onena them here

>I am replacing the tired 350 engine in my ¡92 Suburban w/TBI.  Instead of
going back to the stock 350, I want to install a small block 400. I¢ll also
add a few extras like better flowing heads, a mild cam, headers and a free
flowing cat and exhaust system.

224 @ 050 starts to take a bunck of work,

>This combination will require more fuel than the stock combination. Small
block 400 have been around for many years and I¢m sure someone has done all
this before, and since I don¢t want to re-invent the wheel, I¢m looking for
information about how to feed this engine and how to get the fuel mixture
correct so its not running rich or lean.

Theonly injectors larger than what you have ar the early BBC.  If going real
healthy on cams compresson, might look at Edelbrobk, only real option for
bigger injectors.

>Some of the options available are 1) Turbo City offers high flow throttle
bodies, high flow injectors and computer interfaces to make the speed
density system work with a cam that has longer duration than a stock cam.
Do I just add all their high flow stuff and hope it's close?

Well easy to say one thing, ask if they give your money back when the stiff
done't work to your
satisfaction.

>2) Edelbrock sells a complete, tunable TPI system to replace the factory
TBI, cost is $1200.

>3) Several companies offer computers that intercept the computer signal and
modify the fuel and timing curve according to adjustable settings.

>Finally, 4) New chips for the factory computer are available from after
market performance companies to compensate for the bigger engine.

>Anyone out there been through this before? What works and what doesn¢t?
Thanks in advance.