Lexus EFI system

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Oct 31 15:12:33 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Morrin <mikem at southern.co.nz>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Saturday, October 31, 1998 4:02 AM
Subject: Lexus EFI system

>I have been asked to help someone who is putting a Lexux LS400 >V8 into a
Jag XJ6.
>His problem is that he has almost none of the original Lexus EFI
components.
>Should he buy second hand Lexux stuff which cannot be tuned? (he >will be
>running without cats)
>Should he fit a generic aftermarket system?  Which one?
>The original Lexus system appears to have electronic spark control >with 2
coils and 2 HT distributors.  It is a MAF TPI system.
>I don't know what sort of timing sensor the engine has.
>Any ideas?
>Mike

You need to find out what you have, and where your going.  Sensors can get
into a bunch of money and not all ignition componemts are
plug+play.  Are they relecurtor/coil, or hall effect.  TPI?.  Number
cylinders, year of engine.  Two seperate dissies might leave you needing two
ecms to run the show.  If that's the case I'd be sure they can be run open
loop.  Then look for a ecm that supports what you want.  Turbos, etc.   See
if there is a cheap backup available, and what the warranty is.  One thing
I'm considering doing is playing with a delco, and haltech box since they
both use about the same plug ins.  That way I got me a spare to drive home
on if the $$ unit fails..
I'd kinda like to hear how ya go on all this!.
Bruce