Oxygen sensor and high speed stumble UPDATE

Zack zubenubi at inetport.com
Sat Oct 31 20:35:17 GMT 1998

>  Here is my question, by upping the fuel rail pressure to 48 psi
>am I starving the engine at high RPM because the pump can't flow
> enough fuel at that pressure?  Does this seem logical?

Yes and no.  If you ECU doesn't have a self-learn mode, since the
regulator acts on the return line and will simply shut off return
flow if the pump can't maintain pressure, the worst that can happen
in that case is upping the regulator setting would have no effect (if
you were at worst case where the pump could not even maintain
pressure at the lower regulator setting).
	However, if the ECU has a self learn mode, which calibrates injector
pulse width to O2 sensor reading during closed loop, then upping the
fuel pressure to a level that cannot be sustained at WOT -can- lead
to a worsening of the leaning out condition.  The ECU will learn
that it needs to decrease injector pulsewidth by some certain
percentage to deliver X amount of fuel during closed loop, and it
will continue to apply the same factor during open loop as well.
Since the correction is based on fuel pressure, if the pump can't
maintain the same fuel pressure under WOT that it does during cruise,
this  scaling back of injector pulse width by the ECU will worsen the
leaning out at WOT.
	Having said that, this doesn't sound like that's your problem,
because a reading of mid-900's on the O2 sensor indicates a very rich
mixture, 850-900 mV is the area most people I've talked to shoot for
when tuning.  Does the pinging problem originating from a particular
cylinder(s), or are they all pinging?  Just curious whether one
cylinder might be getting inadequate fuel delivery for some
reason, which you're not seeing on the sensor because of the overall
rich condition.

 I increased the
pressure