Non-GM knock sensor Q

Jason Weir jweir at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 2 02:32:52 GMT 1998

Steve Lamb wrote:

> As some of you are aware, myself and a friend are currently attempting
> adapt an 808 ECM to run a Nissan FJ20 (DOHC 4, NA version) using the
> Kalmaker gear.   Now, the FJ20 has a knock sensor installed in the
> block
> and the Kal software gives access to all the knock variables, but the
> question is: will the output from the Nissan sensor be suitable for
> direct
> input to the Delco ECM ??  I have all the wiring diagrams, so know
> which
> pin-outs to use.  Any opinion/input greatly appreciated.

I can't answer your question but, I wondered the same thing when I did
my swap, I wanted to use the stock sensor but I didn't know if it would
work so I just swapped to the GM sensor it works great, it not perfect
because if I add lots of timing I can hear a few knocks before the ECM
retards timing but under normal conditions it senses knock way before
you hear it...I guess all that talk about knock sensors, and the ESC
module filtering out engine specific frequencies is questionable because
you will never convince me that the acoustic and knock properties of a
4.3 V6 GM motor and a straight 6 AMC motor are the same...Or maybe I
just go lucky, I don't really care cause it works.... JTW
--
Jason Weir
88 Wrangler - 258 Chevy TBI
mailto:jweir at worldnet.att.net