Rotary firings

Alain Marchildon marchildon at usa.net
Thu Sep 17 22:32:55 GMT 1998

At 11:06 PM 9/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Just a tad rusty here, but (on a 2 rotor rotary), aren't the rotors, and
>shaft geared at 1:1,so at 1K rpm there are 2K exhaust pulsations?...
>  Where as in a 2 cylinder 4 stroke would only have 500 pulsations
>per minute at 1K rpm idle?.
>  EFI content is that this is in reference to O2 sampling.
>Cheers
>Bruce

Actually it would be more like 4000 pulsations at 1k

If I remember correctly the ratio of the ring gear to stationary gear on
the housing is 3 to 2, so at 1k rpm of the eccentric shaft we have 666,66
rotor rpm, there is 3 rotor faces so 666,66 x 3 = 2000 exhaust pulses times
2 rotors for a grand total of 4000 exhaust pulses at a 1k idle.

Alain Marchildon