ID the flaring tool...

Darryn Watson db at vianet.net.au
Sun Sep 20 03:29:06 GMT 1998

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 08:52:14 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>Consider it a game, a challenge, or
>whatever, but I'm looking for an
>unidentified flaring tool (U.F.T.?)
>which uses a hammer and a die to
>make the flare on a piece of tubing.
>See http://www.acesag.auburn.edu/~gparmer/flare
>for a graphic-happy one page description.
>
>(the EFI reference is that I used one
> to flare the lines on my DIY_EFI--now
> I want my own)

If you are after a tool to make double flares ie for brake lines and
stuff try a refrigeration parts supply store.  I'm a refrigeration
fitter and have used one before on flares that need to be a bit more
failsafe than just a single flare.

Imperial Eastman make a double flaring tool for bundy tube and copper.
I will look up the P/N for you tomorrow if you would like.

Its not the hammer type but a screw type with a yoke tht fits over the
flaring block that you screw down.  i'm sure it will do 1/4" and 3/8"
tubing

Looking at you web page if you are only wanting to do 1/4" flares and
that punch is broken, try taking it down to a machinist or fitter and
turner they should be able to turn a new punch up for you.

Darryn