questions on gm 1226867 DJU TBI system

Stowe, Ted-SEA StowT at PerkinsCoie.com
Sun Sep 27 18:47:49 GMT 1998

hi.

I am slowly moving to put this gm 4 cyl 2.0 L tbi system on my 77 mgb. it is
out of a 85 Pontiac sunbird.

I am trying to ascertain if I should worry about the following info.
I'd appreciate any advice.

I have found a speedo place, US speedometer, that will sell for $99.00 a VSS
substitute, (2000 pulses per mile), just hook up 12 volts and your speedo
cable.
a minor problem is that the english cable sizes don't match, but I'm sure
they can make me up a custom cable.

However I wonder what the ECU used this input for ?

the EPROM/calpak I have thinks that it will be in a 2.0 tbi, non-closed
loop, no AC, 3 speed auto thm 125 automatic, with a 3:18:1 final drive.

this is a 4 speed manual 1.8 litre, (no ac), 3.909 final drive.

I would like to keep the error code feature of the ECU, so if I disregard
the VSS input it'll just keep telling me that the VSS signal is missing.

questions:

I guess it looked at vehicle speed for something, some element of the map
for the injector ? or was it just to know when to ground the solenoid for
3rd gear in the auto trans ?

if it is the latter does anyone know where I would nop out the code for this
(so I don't get an error) ?

should I worry about getting a different calpak and EPROM ? maybe something
with a manual trans ?

how would I figure out what my calpak and EPROM choices are ?

I see that a mempak is used in later ECU models, is this some kind of
consideration?

also I need to get an external fuel pump, in the required psi range. does
anyone have any good suggestions ? I know that the jetronic-d in the Porsche
914 would work and is a vaguely similar size. I think it put out 20+ psi.
most of the pumps I see are internal pumps which I can't use.

oh minor detail, the air cleaner, it appears that with my downdraft
manifold, I will be very close to the top of the hood already, so I have to
come up with some sort of plumbing that goes off to the side, and adds as
little height as possible.
does anyone have any thoughts about this ? I need to use something that has
an air filter, etc.

another MD, I got a 'electronic ignition module' for an 85 sunbird EFI
distributor. I am thinking that I can get a used mgb hall effect distributor
and use that as is, hooking it up to this module and then the module to the
inputs/outputs on the ECU. so that is kind of tidy. however do I need to use
the GM coil as well ? does anyone know where I can get the OEM connectors
for this module ?

thanks a lot, and thanks a lot for all of the excellent prior help. I would
not of got his far without it.

Ted Stowe