More VSS

Mike Dillon mdill at lsil.com
Wed Sep 30 20:36:32 GMT 1998

Hi Bruce,

I don't have any referances here but this is in general what you are
looking at.

SN74LS74AN

SN -> Who manufatured the device Signetics ?? MC is maybe Motorolla ??
74 -> "7400" series logig family
LS -> low power shottky (sp) (Other common letters in this position are:
          F -> fast logic, HC -> high speed cmos, S -> Shottky, no letter original 7400 TTL series type.
           To some degree they will plug and play together but you have to watch their specs
            as mixing cross familys may reduce noise margins. the rat shack should have
            a basic logic book that specs input-output specs for the different
            familys.
74 -> D Flip flop (?? I don't have a TTL data book handy)
      This number goes between 00 (Inverter ??) up to 3XX or may be 4XX
      and all(most all) the 7400 sries parts with a common number in this
      field do the same function ie. inverter, and or ...
AN    Usually a package code for what type of package it is in DIP, SIP, PLCC .....

So your other chip is a High speed CMOS something, I don't know off the top
of my head what function a 86 is in the 7400 series.

Good luck Mike D.