Shutting fuel off whie driving.

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Thu Apr 1 06:45:07 GMT 1999

At 04:11 PM 3/31/99 -0500, Bruce Plecan wrote:
>Just for grins I actually hooked up a LED (well it already was).  On a

Just get a "high intensity" led, something 2000mcd or above, and size
the resistor to give it the full rated current at 12v. Many are rated
20ma or 30ma, which would be a 600 and 400 ohm resistor respectively.
Feel free to cut the R in half or so if it's too dim, but if you get
an ultra- bright type (6000mcd are available even at radio shack) you
won't need to. Did this on my car lately, the pulsing was very easily
visible.

As for L-Jetronic details, I have an 88 Toyota MR2 which I'm pretty
sure is L-Jet. (Damn if I can keep L-Jet and D-Jet straight though.)
It has:

Screw-adjustable idle air bypass in throttle body;

Computer controlled idle air bypass in throttle body
  (which I think has only 2-3 settings);

And a couple idle-up air solenoids, one for general stuff like
alternator-on and I think another one just for the A/C.

The throttle body is also heated by coolant, and I *think* there's a
bimetal strip type idle air valve in there too, possibly as part
of either the screw bypass or the computer controlled bypass. I
wish I could be more clear but the factory manual isn't too plain
about exactly what's going on.

It cuts fuel when the engine is warm, TPS idle switch closed, and rpm
above 1600. I *believe* this fuel cut is 100%, but have not tested it.

   Chris C.