Camshafts

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Fri Apr 2 15:13:35 GMT 1999

Spend 20 bucks.  Buy the best de-bs'ing and debunking book on cams ever
written - "How to build and modify Chevrolet Small-Block V-8 Camshafts and
valvetrains"  Dave Vizard ( Forward by Harvey Crane  sr)  Motor Books
International  ISBN0-87938-595-2.

Its 95 per cent cams and valve theory practice etc and a smattering of chevy
specific.   It will prevent you from swallowing all the rotten fish from
Denmark on the internet - unless of course - you like bull feces.

For example - Rapid Leak Down Lifters such as by Rhodes and others do not
appreciably change the cam profile on opening and to a lesser extent lift.
They do change the closing profile because of the "leak down" collapse.  Thus
the effect is actually to change the closing profile and duration.  They also
don't do the magic attributed to them.   But they are helpful in the right
situation.

He goes on to describe the leakdown tester he build, the results of the tests
between various manufacturers including Rhodes, Competion Cams, and Crane.

Then, silly him, actually describes how to pick a leak down lifter cam based
on how it actually works.

Of course, with all due respect to Dave Vizard, he obviously hasn't thought
about "fill in the blank" because I have neglected to quote that part of this
excellent tome on camshafts.  So spank me silly.  Buy the book - argue with
the author - I actually read the book and had my questions answered.

1963 Ford C-600 Prison Bus Conversion "Home"
1971 Lincoln Continental 460 "Christine"
1972 "Whale" Mustang awaiting transplant
1978 Dodge Long Bed Peeek Up "Bundymobile"

Habaneros - not just for breakfast anymore