73 Chevy v8 question

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sun Apr 4 00:06:08 GMT 1999

Stowe, Ted-SEA wrote:

> Thanks very much to everyone for helping me id my Chevy 350.
>
> I believe it to be a '73 350 out of a passenger car, which one I can't tell,
> I am assuming a 2 bolt main. whether it was rebuilt or not I can't tell.
>
> the head casting # is 3973487
> the carb id, (2bl Rochester ) is 7043114
> the block id is 3970010
> the intake is 3997773
>
> the distributor I can't find listed anywhere, it is a 1111440  8c19, the
> 8c19 would normally tell me that the distributor was built on march 19th
> 1978, but how that got there I can't tell. It is a single point dist.

If you have room, consider an HEI swap.  So good, you'll never want to
leave home without it.

> I cannot get the waterpump nor the exhaust manifold numbers.
>
> a great numbers book is 'Chevrolet by the numbers' really nice for this sort
> of thing.

Do you have this book?  Can you look up the cylinder head number I
posted a couple of days ago?

> I have a question about the intake manifold, this is not a efi question, I
> wish it was but I am trying to do the right thing here. Putting an efi
> system on my mgb has taught me to pay lots attention to details and think
> before doing anything.

Good for you.  You learned after the first try. ; )

> I took the carb off and sent it out to be rebuilt, as it idled funny +,-
> 300+ rpm, and I took the intake manifold off and had it tanked because it
> was just too dirty.
>
> I did this also because the egr valve appeared not to work, and after seeing
> the egr valve passages from the outside all clogged, I just thought that was
> the problem.

Better find some manuals.  EGR doesn't apply at idle.  If the EGR
passage is plugged, it won't affect idle speed.

> now with a clean manifold I think I see something else. this 'egr' manifold,
> has two small ports on the passenger side, that would appear to mate with 2
> ports on the head on that side. these ports are right under the egr valve on
> that side.

Should be 1 rectangular hole in the center of each head, slightly
smaller then the pair of holes on either side.  This feeds exhaust to
the EGR.  I know which "ports" you're seeing.  They have no mates in
any engine I've seen.

> however there are no ports on either head for such a purpose, and no holes
> in the old intake manifold gaskets either. so even with the intake's egr
> ports cleaned up, nothing is going to happen.

Not true.  Blow air through the holes under the EGR valve and see
where it comes out.  Block off your "mystery" ports when you do.

> so is this a clear case of a different set of heads/manifold ? or is this
> not a problem ?
> does anyone sell an egr valve block off plate ? I'd hate to kind of leave
> this condition existing as the egr passages are just going to load up with
> carbon again.
You'll probably have a better answer for this after you try the above
test.

> also, in looking at the HP ratings for 350's around that time, (73), what
> happened to the HP ratings ? this engine would appear to have a hp rating of
> 145. the 350's prior seemed to have about 25+ more, was this a different
> method of measuring hp ? or was this the result of the emission requirements
> at the time ??
HP measurements went from Gross to SAE Net.  Same engine suddenly
rated "as installed" and appeared to lose power.

> I accidentally got a set of felpro intake manifold gaskets that appear to be
> for a intake manifold that blocks off the exhaust crossover. I would guess
> that this was done to help cold running conditions, any advice on retaining
> this or not ?
Depends on your local climate.  Cold weather driveability is often
hampered by blocking exhaust crossover.  Some manifolds rely on the
hot crossover to open the choke.

> thanks for all you're help. when finances and time permits I would just love
> to efi this.
> this is a 350 in a 72 xj6 with a turbo 350, I plan to put a 4 speed auto in
> it sometime.

You've got some learning ahead of you, by the sounds of things.  You
might want to bite the bullet and find a used v-8 TBI setup, so you
could be learning about a more current fuel system.  They're not even
teaching carbies in the trade schools anymore.
Also, you really should get a good reference manual for the carb if
you're going to stick with it.  You can spend lots of time "mucking
about" and never solve any problems.  I like "Rochester Carburetors",
by Doug Roe.
Good luck!
Shannen