'50s MOPAR Hemi question

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Sun Apr 4 02:51:00 GMT 1999

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999 JRECPA at aol.com wrote:

>   >>
> According to my chiltons book the 325's were all hydraulic lifters.
> The D500 had the hemi head.
>
> My question to you is this the best choice for an engine?
> The old hemi's weight was a problem for acceleration.
> If it was me that wanted an older hemi I would get the 392 from a
> 57 c-300. Rated at 375HP with solid lifters.

The 1950s era mopar V8s are a very complex situation. The best way I found
to figure them out was to go by rod and main bearing sizes. The best
source, a tuners tip in the old mopar yellow book even used the same
system. They also admitted that no one knows what was done with complete
accuracy.
IIRC, the 1957 D500 actually listed a 354 Chrysler engine, while earlier
D500s used dodge hemis. Ther are single rocker and double rocker [hemi]
versions of most of the V8s of this era, including the 354 Chrysler.
The best of the hemis was a high block desoto based on weight per cubic
inch. All of them were pretty good power producers. Oh yeah, most have a
low block and raised block version, which used different rod or main [or
both] bearing, just to add a bit of interest...

Expect EVERY sighting report to be wrong.