7-Pin HEI Module

Jason Weir jweir at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 4 16:05:26 GMT 1999

andy quaas wrote:

> Around 1984 or so they started using the electronic advanced HEI
> (big-cap style, internal coil).  They used them on zillions of 305/350s
> with an "electronic" Q-Jet.  I don't know the differences between the
> internals of the 6 cylinder HEIs, but the actual housing and shaft seem
> to be the same between the vacuum and the electronic big-cap HEIs, so
> maybe the 6's are the same?
>
> Andy
> p.s. why do u want to switch?

I guess a little background is in order, what I got is an old worn out
Jeep Prestolite or Autolite (not exactly sure which) distributor that I
removed the vacuum and centrifugal advance from.  The stock magnetic
pickup is driving a ignition module from a 91 GM TBI (7747) setup, I
have the ignition module along with 2 Pentium CPU heat sinks along with
fans (they are 12V fans) - zip tied to the firewall due to the fact that
I had no where else to mount the module.  I had it mounted to the
distributor and it kept overheating, I burnt 2 up before I got the heat
sinks and fans.

In a Jeep I want to have everything consolidated as much as possible to
make water proofing easier. But the main reason is that I have been
chasing an ignition miss that I believe to be caused by a worn
distributor housing/shaft/bearings and the only GM housing that will fit
this motor is out of the 250/292 L6 motor.  Well as far as I know these
motors were never offered with the 7-pin hei module only the 4 pin.  So
I want to mount a 7-pin module inside the 250's dizzy and hook it to the
7747 TBI setup running on my 4.2L Jeep straight 6.

On another note this ignition miss makes chip tuning a wild goose chase,
when a plug misfires the extra O2/fuel in the exhaust which really is a
rich condition makes the O2 sensor think that things are lean and the
ECM adds fuel, which only makes the ignition miss worse.  I have been
chasing the BLM all over the place at idle, in the higher rpm's it seems
to get averaged out and I don't notice it as much.

there are we confused now, I think I am

Later,
Jason Weir
--
88 Wrangler - 155K miles and counting
258 I6, 4.0 head, Cherokee header, 2 1/2 exhaust with high flow cat &