Question about Howell conversion.

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Apr 4 17:27:23 GMT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: esc <esc at firstnethou.com>
To: <diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 1999 10:22 AM
Subject: Question about Howell conversion.

> Does anyone know which ECU Howell uses whan they do their conversion of a
> Holley projection4?

If your talking about wanting to run a 4 barrel TBI, the only gm ecm I know
of to do that properly is the 1227749 wired as used in a 87 Sunbird Turbo.
  In some testing that I did, I was unhappy with the results of firing
injectors wired, in series parrarel.
  If you want to run a 4 barrel TBI, my suggestion is to run, a TBI ecm and
then make an injector driver board external to the ecm, to actually fire the
injectors.
  From what I've heard all the 4 barrels use the same butterflies, but
different injector sizes from rating to rating.   So the idea of selling
them by CFM is silly, when they all flow about the same CFM, and the actual
difference is gals/hour....
  Next item, 4 ninety gal/hr injectors would support about 700 HP.
  I run 13s in a 3000#/350 CID car, with 2 two inch butterflies, if you
really need that much air (4-2" butterflies), I'd look further than a TBI...
  If your needing that much air, then you have a bunch of cam, and might do
well using a 747 where you can go open loop at idle.
Cheers
Bruce
     Took the staff out looking for owls last night..  The little guys
thought to take some mice to bait the owls, into coming out.  Shoulda seen
them get bug eyed (the owls), and all that screaming,geez.
  P.s.   So hunting for owls at Hooters is a lost cause......