Mystery Substance

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Mon Apr 5 10:09:53 GMT 1999

So as I am surfing the web - whiling away my time off from my unsavory
computer business, I run across an obscure reference to an unusual little
chemical compound.  Since Dave is always pestering me for unusual chemicals I
check it out.

The compound is ferrocene, (dicyclopentadienyl iron), Fe(C5H5)2, or Fc for
short.

Seems like this be good stuff for octane enhancing and about as toxic as
gasoline - unlike lead.  Basic warning - drinking not recommended and it might
hurt if you blend it with peanut butter and stick in your veins.   A small
amount - even reasonably priced - seems to go a long way and not regulated by
the Enviro-Nazies.  Guessing about 4 grams a gallon for a nice octane hit.

Questions for chemists:   Will this plug a catalytic converter?  How fast?  Is
it scavengable with another compound in the cat?

Next - effect on oxygen sensor - will it plug it up like lead and is the
reaction reversible.

Any references to the exact blending ratios. Based above on maximum blending
ratio for lead - so probably not as effective.

Any warnings - like explodes on contact with hydrazine or turns nitromethane
into a class a explosive?

1963 Ford C-600 Prison Bus Conversion "Home"
1971 Lincoln Continental 460 "Christine"
1972 "Whale" Mustang awaiting transplant
1978 Dodge Long Bed Peeek Up "Bundymobile"

Habaneros - not just for breakfast anymore