Chemical reaction (from Supra)

Steve N. sgn1 at ra.msstate.edu
Mon Apr 5 23:49:48 GMT 1999

> If you were to ignite fuel and air (C8H18 + 12.5 O2 >>> 8 CO2 + 9 H20) with
> no addition of heat from the reaction, you would get a 36% increase in
> pressure.  With ignition (assume 1600°F temp increase after combustion,
> PV=nRT, and 80°F init temp) an increase in pressure of 380% from addition of
> heat.  THIS IS JUST BALL PARKISH!!!!!

Thanks for the info mike, it sheds some more light on the subject, but
at the same time rises another question.  How much of the created heat
pressue (380%) goes to actually making the gases expand?  We all know
that there are great losses in the coolant system, friction, etc., just
curious as to if anyone knows what pushes the piston.  I guess you could
start to factor in the efficeny ratings that are well known (ie the
honda F1 engine converts 32% of the energy in the gas into power.  What
power is this?  Flywheel power?)  Anyway, since I have do not know how
much energy is lost in engine friction, and how much heat is lost from
combustion to the coolant system, I guess it is hard for me to say.

Thanks!
Steve N.