DFI vs TEC II

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Apr 6 19:27:48 GMT 1999

  I'll be using a two bar sensor and want to
> run it as a MAP system.  Looking at the DFI and the TEC II systems.  The
> DFI seems to be very popular and is widely used.
> The TEC II is touted as the best thing next to the expensive Motec
> system.  It has a data logging feature and many options for the various
> types of software available, such as MAP, MAF.  However, by time you pay
> for the software license, the TEC II seems to be more expensive.
> Based on experience is the TEC II worth the extra $$, or is the DFI
> everything needed?  Is one easier to tune than the other?  Does one
> system do a better job of fine tuning fuel and ignition?

Try calling the manufacturers and faking a problem, and see which tech line
acts like they know where to plug the ecm into.   Can be a real nightmare,
and the price of the ecm has little to do with customer service, IMHO.
  The Felpro can run closed loop at WOT.  So that is their claim to fame.
No ecm does any tuning on it's own.  You still have to tell it what to do.
At one point in time, I had searched around looking for demo software, and
from that view, the Felpro, and Haltechs looked friendly..
I really wouldn't run what some folks do for the shear fact that you see
lots of them.  At one time it seems one manufacturer really wanted to be
"out there"..
Bruce