Engine load vs RPM and torque

Matt Beaubien mbeaubie at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Wed Apr 7 22:47:27 GMT 1999

Hi all,

This is a little off charter but is still related somewhat (especially to
those with artificial aspiration.)

I'm looking for some software or code (Matlab, Working Model etc...) that
will allow me to calculate the loads seen by the piston, rod, etc for
various torque/speed combinations. For instance, is it better to make 100 HP
using 15 psi of boost at 5500 rpm or 100 HP at 6500 RPM using 7 psi of
boost...

I'd like to be able to input the weights of the piston and rod, and the
torque value to obtain their loadings. Most people will tell you the largest
loads are seen on the exhuast stroke at TDC, but that doesn't explain why
those turbo Honda's start bending rods at 10 psi...

I have a small single cyl that I'm going to be putting a blower on. In it's
current configuration, the factory tells me additional revs will seriously
comprimise reliability. OK, but with the blower, what is the ideal speed for
my desired HP?

Repond off list if you feel compelled. Thanks.

Matt Beaubien
mbeaubie at ualberta.ca
1 x 300ZXT