Suggestions for Adjusting WOT fuel?

G. Scott Ponton gscottp at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 8 02:13:21 GMT 1999

Roger,
    I'm fairly new here as yet but may be able to help with your tuning
question. This has a lot to do with my experience tuning various engines
running different induction and fuel. I may get flamed for some of this but
........ it has always worked for me. Course then again ............. I used
to tune with just my ears and eyes before I knew and/or could afford the
proper tools. It's much easier with 8-)

    In all gears you want the mixture to be as close to 14:1 as possible
while still making good power. If you back the timing off about 4 deg. and
start leaning from 12:1 at some point power will start to fall off in the
low RPM ranges. It is actually more important that the mix is proper at max
torque than at max HP.  Actually the trans should be upshifted sooner than
most people think. During the accel stage as the engine is loaded by each
gear change the mixture should stay about the same. After reaching final
gear and approaching max HP then the mixture AND timing should be back off
slightly until the engine HP peaks.
    Back before there were anything other than points and carb I used to run
a car with a dual point and an adjustable restricter in the fuel line at the
carb. The two points were wired to a DTSP switch such that in each possition
a different set of points was controlling the ignition. This allowed be to
retart the timing approx 4 deg. at max revs. The fuel line restricter when
properly adjusted would cause the fuel level to drop slightly in the carb at
max leaning the mixture slightly. It was good for an extra 2 or 3 MPH at the
end of a 1/4 straight either drag or oval.
    Exhaust temp isn't the greatest indication of proper combustion until
the " normal" mixture ranges are exceded. Between 12.1 and 15.1 it is going
to be more or less stable and dependant on the combo and fuel being used.
Alcohol will show a much greater temp variation then gasoline as you can run
it at nearly 1:1 with out fouliong the plugs. The excess ( unless it
hydraulics the engine ;-( ) will just go out the exhaust obviously causing
the temp to drop yada yada yada.
    Anyhow ........ I hope this has been some help.

Scott