TEC II

Jason_Leone at amat.com Jason_Leone at amat.com
Thu Apr 8 16:35:01 GMT 1999

<<Do you use an EIP turbo system? Just curious.>>

No.

<<Again, he is right. Trying to calibrate anything off of stoich without a
UEGO is foolishness, and asking for expensive repairs!>>

AND...again, I say that a standard 4-wire Bosch 0-1v EGO is fine. If it's good
enough for a GT2 turbo 911, I think it can do the job. The TEC II tables for the
A/F ratio are good to use, but you should NOT rely on a large EGO correction
value factor. In fact, close loop in general is out the window under WOT (it can
run closed loop at WOT, if you want it too...but I think the EGO is too slow at
high rpm). Sounds like you're a little gun shy about this one, eh? If I was
using the TEC II for an 800hp twin-turbo car...I'd use a "wide" band EGO (or
two, in conjunction w/ various EGT sensors). For most NA engines, and 440hp
turbo V6 engines...the Bosch EGO works fine w/ the TEC II. When tuning, it's
good to use a secondary A/F ratio device though (I have access to a SMOG station
gas analyzer), to compare claimed A/F indications. When tuning, always create
rich fuel maps at first, then lean it out later...nothing new there.

<<Espen was right with this--100 us resolution is JUNK!! (As is 64 us.)>>

I'm not going to disagree on this one! I will say that the TEC II is pretty damn
good for the money, and the injector minimum PW issue can be solved in other
ways. For instance, do the fuel calculation to properly match the injector
sizing to the hp potential (fuel need). Having 750cc/min injectors in a little
turbo Honda will usually make for some idle suffering...but the TEC II will cut
the duty cycle back (maybe down to 40% or so), and the car can be tuned to idle
smoothly. That's a generic example, but it's true. I think most people will
agree that the TEC II is great at the track, and it's very capable for a street
car.

So, the TEC II doesn't offer the highest resolution tables (it's only an 8x8 or
"64" style), but it makes for easy programming. I do with it had larger tables
though (like a "256" style).

Jason