Engine load vs RPM and torque

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Fri Apr 9 01:14:32 GMT 1999

In a message dated 4/8/99 8:11:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bearbvd at sni.net
writes:

> as much as I like the forged (6061 alloy) Alcoa wheels, even
>  they crack quite a lot in the wrong kind of service!
>
>  Regards, Greg

Well, I just HAVE to put my $.02 in!
When I was in the Army, we used two different types of wheels on our M60
based tanks, steel and alum.  The steel wheels would bend frequently and need
to be replaced when convenient, but the aluminum wheels ... they were
constantly BREAKING and of course required immediate replacement if you
didn't want to drive around on your hubs.
I have not been too fond of aluminum wheels ever since, no matter how
'faddish' they may be.  ESPECIALLY on trucks.  I mean, what's the point?  Is
the few pounds you save really going to help the handling with a live axle
suspension?  But then most people with trucks (SUVs) these days won't ever
see a dirt road, much less off-road, anyway.  But the idea of alum. wheels on
a truck is stupid if you ask me.

Ted