302 or 460 build up

KD6JDJ at aol.com KD6JDJ at aol.com
Fri Apr 9 01:18:03 GMT 1999

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>

> >Hi All;
> > This isn't strickly efi but efi will go on it so..
> >I'm getting a 302 ( 5.0L) or a 460 (7.3L) to build for a light car
> >Hp isn't what I'm after I want torque ( more fun, less tickets)
> >
> >what would you guys suggest for around 300hp and lotsa grunt( the 460
will
> >be closer to 400hp)

   Gary
  I want to cast my vote for a well built 302 rather than either a 351 or 460.
  A -- The 460 is too big and heavy for any light street car.
  B -- The 351 is heavier and taller than the 302, and will get you about 17
percent more HP than the 302.
  C -- The Windsor 351 heads can be installed on the 302. The block can be
redrilled to accept the larger 351 stud diameter.
  D -- You can get a cam to provide you with the 'torque at RPM' that want. I
bet that a stock cam , slightly advanced , will get you as much low RPM
torque as any street machine you will ever try to impress.

   Just my 2 cents worth    Jerry