302 or 460 build up

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Fri Apr 9 02:25:06 GMT 1999

Pat Ford wrote:

> Hi All;
>  This isn't strickly efi but efi will go on it so..
> I'm getting a 302 ( 5.0L) or a 460 (7.3L) to build for a light car
> Hp isn't what I'm after I want torque ( more fun, less tickets)
>
> what would you guys suggest for around 300hp and lotsa grunt( the 460 will
> be closer to 400hp)

If you want something with "fear factor", go for a 512ci or so (stroked 460),
502ci FBC or 500ci HEMI. It keeps the women and children off the streets.
Raise the hood, start the motor, and crack the throttle - most people will run
for cover.

If you want a sleeper, the 302 blower/turbo  motors are lots of fun in a light
car, but the whistle/whine gives them away. 302 on a bottle is cheap, quiet,
and could be a money maker if they don't see the NOx bottle.

One of my personal favorites is an old 390 FE with dual quads, tell 'em it's a
427 and you won't have to run anybody. The other is the 412ci  351 Windsor
stroker. Tell 'em it's a 302, they'll think it's a 351 because of the deep
sound. Just get a good set of heads and don't win by more than a car length.

Last but not least is the 300ci 4"x4" 6 popper. it takes a lot of head work
(you can use cut up 351 heads) but it makes torque in spades and is almost
indestructable. Every UPS truck in the country has one. And they are
reasonably light.   I love to be different. Put a T04B on that!!!!

Sharpe