Engine load vs RPM and torque

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Fri Apr 9 04:48:00 GMT 1999

>In a message dated 4/8/99 8:11:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bearbvd at sni.net
>writes:
>
>> as much as I like the forged (6061 alloy) Alcoa wheels, even
>>  they crack quite a lot in the wrong kind of service!
>>
>>  Regards, Greg
>>

>Well, I just HAVE to put my $.02 in!
>When I was in the Army, we used two different types of wheels on our M60
>based tanks, steel and alum.  The steel wheels would bend frequently and need
>to be replaced when convenient, but the aluminum wheels ... they were
>constantly BREAKING and of course required immediate replacement if you
>didn't want to drive around on your hubs.
>I have not been too fond of aluminum wheels ever since, no matter how
>'faddish' they may be.  ESPECIALLY on trucks.  I mean, what's the point?  Is
>the few pounds you save really going to help the handling with a live axle
>suspension?  But then most people with trucks (SUVs) these days won't ever
>see a dirt road, much less off-road, anyway.  But the idea of alum. wheels on
>a truck is stupid if you ask me.

On a semi truck, Alcoas can increase payload over 1000 lbs.!! That
translates to $$$, not better handling. They do also run a lot truer, thus
increasing tire life, and suspension parts life--which means more $$$$.
These are proven facts in big time fleet use--Even with replacing the
cracked ones, they PAY for themselves rather handsomely!!! Another factor
with 24.5" wheels is the much lower polar moment of the Alcoas, which helps
fuel economy a tad. The thing that brings on cracks in the Alcoas is lots
of tight, slow turns with a loaded truck. Straight down the interstate,
they last almost indefinitely. Fuel tankers going over Loveland Pass (no
hazardous loads through the tunnels under the divide on I-70) eat up Alcoas
at an impressive rate because of all the hairpin turns.

Greg