302 or 460 build up

Jim Yeagley jimyeagley at stratos.net
Sat Apr 10 01:03:09 GMT 1999

-----Original Message-----
The 302 is a 4 inch bore with a 3" stroke. They are really not built for
high RPMs. Once you get them over about 3700 RPMs they start to sound like
they'd rather be at 2500. Torque is fairly good. You'll probably see 275-300
ft/lbs at around 2300-2600 RPMs.

I drive an F-150 w/ the 302 and it does quite fast. For a pretty bulky
truck, it goes quite fast. The stock camshaft of the 302 is quite good for
low end.. Is not suited to high RPMs though.
-------------------

Try a different cam in your 302, then you'll realize what a short stroke
motor is built for.  The only reason you feel like your truck has torque is
because of the gearing.  My '79 302 Mustang felt like a 4 banger before 2000
rpm.  Go 351 for torque or as someone mentioned the L-6 300.  That 6 is one
hell of a torque monster, but the 351W parts will still be cheaper!

Jim Yeagley
1996 Dodge Indy Ram
See it and many others at: www.indyram.org
1975 Pontiac Grandville Brougham Conv. (in baskets)
webmaster at indyram.org
jimyeagley at stratos.net