EEC-IV Modifying for low impedance injectors

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Sun Apr 11 19:19:27 GMT 1999

Yes Paul, most OEM ECMs designed for high impedance injectors will fry their
output stages if lower impedance injectors are used... sorta the same
concept as putting a 2ohm speaker on a 8 ohm stereo - have your fire
extinguisher ready :)

However all is not lost... I've opened two EEC's and it appears the injector
drivers are nothing more than transistors... therefore these could be
changed to higher current capable devices, or, its entirely acceptable to
create your own cascaded output stage.  I did this with a GM ECM for the
same reason...

Its nothing more than an inductor in parallel with the ECM output and
ground, which then feeds a 1k resistor driving a large MOSFET which connects
to 12V Battery, the low-impedance injector, which in turn connects to
ground.  This worked very well for non-peak/hold style injectors.  The ECM I
used was the GM 1418 Grand National ECM (Buick V6 Turbo)

Hope that helped