Torque measurement

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Apr 11 21:43:11 GMT 1999

>A dyno works the same way. The rotor of the dyno is coupled to the engine
>under test. The dyno case is supported by trunion bearings. water is
>circulated between the rotor and case. The rotor tries to turn the case, and
>a load cell on the case reads out torque.  In an engine, the crank is the
>rotor and the block is the case, a load cell on the block would read out
>torque just like a dyno does. If you want to measure off of the drive shaft
>an in line load cell would be needed. The cost of an in line is over $3K a
>tension compression load cell is around $500.
>                                                            Don

I did NOT want to read off the driveshaft--I simply suggested CALIBRATING
off of it! The torque reaction at the motor mounts is most definitely the
torque reaction of the engine/transmission ASSEMBLY, the reaction to the
output torque in the driveshaft, and therefore will vary with what gear the
tranny is in as well as with the engine's output torque.

Regards, Greg