DFI vs TEC II

Todd Israels israels at MNSi.Net
Tue Apr 13 20:22:51 GMT 1999

At 09:51 AM 4/5/99 PDT, you wrote:
>Posted this question a few days ago and never saw it come across, so
>I'll try again.
>
>Looking for advice concerning which EFI computer to use.  I'm at the
>point where I need to buy the EFI computer for my twin turbo SBC, in a
>street/strip '81 Corvette.  I'll be using a two bar sensor and want to
>run it as a MAP system.  Looking at the DFI and the TEC II systems.  The
>DFI seems to be very popular and is widely used.  I remember seeing
>several of these computers in use at the Silver State Classic two years
>ago.
>
>The TEC II is touted as the best thing next to the expensive Motec
>system.  It has a data logging feature and many options for the various
>types of software available, such as MAP, MAF.  However, by time you pay
>for the software license, the TEC II seems to be more expensive.
>
>Based on experience is the TEC II worth the extra $$, or is the DFI
>everything needed?  Is one easier to tune than the other?  Does one
>system do a better job of fine tuning fuel and ignition?

	I have not used either but looked at both for a friend and chose TEC II
because of the DIS ignition eliminates the distributor at the back of the
motor on SBC for some applications.  The DFI people seemed more helpful on
the phone and more focused on the hot rod market.
	The system installed and started on a base map just fine.  Took a bi to be
familiar with it but I got it tuned to be a bit ritch especialy if you
realy had your foot in it .  The cat was removed and the car was taken to
another shop to have the bigger turbo installed and finla tunning.  It was
driven for a month first no problem but minor soot at rear.  (the car was
an early turbo Trans Am, and i dinden want to melt anything in the newly
rebuilt engine.)
	The other system we considerd in the simple digital systems in western
Canada.  The were cheaper and looked easier to get started with for not so
computer literate people, since no software is required.
	If this is a first FI install nad you plan to keep it a long time the most
important issues are service and support.  You will need help and
replacement parts.
			Todd Israels