sequential gearboxes

Simon & Heidi Young mothra at netspace.net.au
Tue Apr 13 21:33:04 GMT 1999

Finally something I can contribute to, I'm still learning all this EFI
stuff.

Of course sequential boxes are kinda EFI related as one of the advantages
they bring is the capacity to set up a "shift withou lift" system,
programmed through the ECU.

It woult be possible to rig a hydraulic or electro-mechanical system to
make an H pattern box shift like a sequential (ie the lever acts like a
seq.), the question is why bother, it will likely be more clumsy and
innefficient than a properly set up H pattern.  Anyway, if the box has
synchros you will probably not be able to use the faster shift speed a seq.
system may give you.

The other alternative would be to modify the box to make it a true
sequential.  This would involve mounting the forks on a rail where they are
free to slide and adding the "barrel" to make the right fork engage as the
previous one disengages.  Yes it's done exactly like a motorcycle box.
Entirely possible and a challenging project for a well equipped machinist
but for the DIYist ?

I know where you are coming from though, how slick do those CART/BTCC/WRC
shifts look.

Simon Young
Sunbury, Australia