DIY_EFI Digest V4 #227

David Rhoads rhoads at adi.com
Fri Apr 16 13:33:28 GMT 1999

Costs, even ballpark, on some packages could be a useful piece of
additional information.  The following message was sent to me offlist;

Subject: tion and Modeling
   Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 21:45:36 -0400
  From: "Gary Derian" <gderian at oh.verio.com>
     To: <rhoads at adi.com>

There is lots of modeling in industry.  Not too many years ago, it cost
over
$50,000 per seat of 3D CAD for software and hardware.  Now it can be
done
for $8,000.  The new systems run on Windows NT and Intel Pentium II and
Pentium III.  This makes it available to a whole new class of company.
It
is truly a revolution.  Common low cost software is Solid Edge and Solid
Works.  Pro Engineer has dropped prices and is trying to compete in that
arena.  The really big buck systems, like Catia are useful to large
global
corporations are  still expensive.
Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>

--