sequential gearboxes

Chris G. Lucas tagurit at wwisp.com
Sat Apr 17 00:33:36 GMT 1999

>     Well I guess I will have to put my foot in my mouth on this one :-) I
> have been shifting a 4 speed without "lifting" for over 25 years. It's a
> little hard on the syncros in some boxes but isn't that hard to accomplish.
> It's just a matter of timing the shift with clutch and shifter. When the
> timing is perfect it's unusual for the RPMs to climb more than a couple of
> hundred between shifts.

Haven't been doing it that long, (only 29) but I have been doing it to my Muncie
M22 for over 8 years.  It's all in timing.  Your are right, syncros don't like
the abuse, especially behind a 454, shifting at 7500.  Muncies inheritantly eat
3rd up first for some reason.  Jerico makes a 4 speed that is clutchless. Can
exactly remember how it works, but it somehow during the shift locks both gears,
and then slides off.
G-force also makes a 5 speed shiftless trans.  Looking into replacing mine with
one of G-forces.