Twin Turbos (Massive snippage safe to read)

Nathan Acree nacree at nmt.edu
Sat Apr 17 01:42:53 GMT 1999

Frederic wrote:

> >the two modes of operation.  The www.syty.org or .com has a list of all the
> >candidates.
>
> OKay, i'm on the way!  EIght is good.
>
> >OK whatza VATS turbo?
>
> I may have the acronym wrong, but its the turbo with integral "wastegate",
> which instead of a flap door or plunger/spring type of configuration, the
> turbo has small vanes that move depending on boost, the vanes completely
> surrounding the turbo fan.

Its called a VATN turbo -Variable Area Turbine Nozzle.  Essentially the turbine
is made of many vanes that change their angle in the exhaust stream.  It
functions like many different sized turbos all in one unit, ie. it makes boost
at lower rpm because of the variable area turbine, but still can have the
capacity to make boost at high rpm.

Nathan Acree (new list member)