Mustang inner-cooler

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Tue Apr 20 22:05:28 GMT 1999

>Thought about running a refrigerant through the heat exchanger.  Put an
>expansion valve before the heat exchanger and pump in liquid refrigerant.
>Phase change happens in the heat exchanger and hopefully a lot of cooling.
>You also need a recovery system for the vapor refrigerant.
>
>just a thought.....
>
>P.S. This system works with accumulators, not the A/C pump.  The A/C pump
>could be used to "charge" the high side accumulator.

Got a system design about roughed out--uses an ammonia / water absorbtion
cycle to chill the intercooler, also to chill the inlet air to the turbo.

You will need 2 to 3 tons of chilling effect per 100 HP--it varies,
depending on how much boost. You could keep the cooling requirements down
to maybe 1.8 tons per 100 HP if you PRE intercool using engine coolant in a
separate coil upstream of the refrigerated IC coil.

You will need to have about .25 sq. ft. of IC coil face area per 100 HP of
engine output. It will need to be 4 rows thick, and have 12 fins per inch,
of the mildly corrugated style. Because the refrigerant is ammonia, you
would need SS tubes (ammonia eats copper, and carbon steel does not seem
like a good thing in an inlet manifold) The tubes should be 1/2" OD, spaced
at 1-1/4" oc. in each row. A suction temp of 20 F would get the manifold
air temp down to about 55 or 60F after the coil.

Air side pressure drop across a refrigerated IC coil of this design would
only amount to about 1.5 or 2" of water column.

The cycle can be driven by heat recovered by a heat recovery muffler in the
exhaust system.

You will need a diaphram type solution pump for pumping the strong solution
into the generator.  This pump can be powered hydraulically, either by a
separate pump or by the power steering return.

You will DEFINITELY need a condenser/absorber cooler coil with a lot of
good, cool air flow, and this will need to have SS tubes in it as well. Got
some sizing data here as well.

You will need a thermally compensated evaporator pressure reg. valve to
prevent frosting the evaporator coil under light loads.

You will need a float drain valve to regulate return flow of weak solution
from the generator to the absorber.

You will need a thermal expansion valve to regulate flow of liquid ammonia
into the evaporator.

You will need a holdback valve downstream of the condenser to maintain a
minimum pressure in the generator.

You are talking about around 1/4 HP of hydraulic pumping load per 100 HP of
engine output.

There is PLENTY of heat available in the exhaust downstream of the turbine
to drive the cycle.

Chilling the air going IN to the turbo will have a significant effect on
system efficiency on warmer days, and WILL help to reduce turbine
back-pressure on the engine.

If all this does not sound too heavy, or too hi-tech for your taste, get me
off list, and I will share more details.

Regards, Greg