op-amps

Bartz, Jamison Jamison.Bartz at compaq.com
Wed Apr 21 22:02:41 GMT 1999

Here is a very simplified explanation of an op-amp.

           Vsup+
         |\ |
         | \|
Vin+  ---|+ \
         |   \____  Vout
         |   /
Vin-  ---|- /
         | /|
         |/ |
           Vsup-

Vout = Gain_of_opamp * ( Vin+ - Vin- )

The gain of the op-amp is very high.  (Like 100 to 2000 or so.)  The output
will not necessarily go that high though.  The limits on the output are the
voltage supplies to the chip. (Vsup+ and Vsup-).

Since the chip you have is a dual chip, it usually means that there are two
of the op-amps on the chip.

There are many different uses for the op-amp.  Some are for amplifiers or
comparators.

Jamison Bartz
Enterprise Computing Group
Workstation Division