alternative fuels

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Thu Apr 22 20:11:34 GMT 1999

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Kurt L Anderson wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:35:24 -0700
> From: Kurt L Anderson <k.l.anderson at juno.com>
> To: DIY_EFI at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: alternative fuels
>
> Hi,
> I'm fairly new to the list and most of the postings are over my head.
> With all the talk about propane lately, I figure it's a good time to try
> posting about alternative fuels. I'm especially interested in hydrogen,
> but that's probably not practical right now, may never be.  I have a '60

too expensive to product and liquify

> Ford Falcon that I'd like to run on a cleaner fuel, with cost as a
> serious consideration.  If I could convert the original i6 engine to run
> on an alternative fuel I'd love to go that route.  I'm looking into
> swapping in an EFI 2.3L or 5.0L so at least it'll run a lot cleaner on
> gasoline.  I'm considering converting to compressed natural gas or
> propane.  I've started reading "Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine

I've done propane of newwer cars.  if you want to use the original engine
you might want to look at hardened valve seats. propane has no lead to
lub the valves

> Control" by Charles Probst and it says,"NG[natural gas]-dedicated
> vehicles need no gasoline fuel injection system, and much simpler control
> for spark and bypass air-idle"(p62).

cng and propane are high octane fuels, therefore less likely to ping

>I'm not sure what this means.  Has
> anyone out there ever converted an older carb. eng. to run on CNG or
> propane?  How about an EFI eng.?  Any other thoughts about anything I've

in Ontario you need to be licenced to install propane fuel systems and
the system has to be inspected. I have both the installer and inspectors
tickets, but I can't fuel the cars ( yet another ticket). you didn't
mention where you are but I've had to rent a truck in Georgia because
I couldn't get propane ( i had the filling adaptor but no-one would
beleive the truck ran on that stuff you cook with )

CNG is a much more difficult solution, the fuel pressures are much higher
( I forget the # but I remember that is was close to my scuba tank
pressure ) the tanks have much smaller capacity harder to fit under the
car... the one good thing was a companey made a booster pump that you
plumbed into the NG in your house and you could fill your car over night

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8