Alternative engines

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Thu Apr 22 21:01:34 GMT 1999

Their efficiency is fine at full throttle.  The problem is at idle and part
throttle.  On the plus side is no radiator but what an exhaust it needs!  If
gas turbines were a good way to go for cars, we would have them.  Chrysler
added large regenerators back in the 60's and still had lousy economy.

I don't know much about the aircraft engines you speak of but how much is
"somewhat inexpensive"?  $2,000?  They must be way more than that.

A few years ago I went to an indoor monster truck meet.  One of the
sideshows was a monster truck with a helicopter turbine engine.  But the
turbine wasn't even hooked up to the drive train of the truck, it just sat
in the back and spewed noise and flames all over the place.  When it was
done, the truck started up its big block and drove off.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>

> The down side is that turbine engines are hugely fuel inefficient.
> Tom
>
> > In addition to alternative fuels what about laternative power sources. I
> > notices that an allison T63 turbine engine weighs about 150 lbs is about
> > the
> > size of a 50 lb fire extinguisher and puts out a whopping 317 HP!! A GE
> > T-700
> > which is a little shorter than a ford 5.0 engine cranks out 1,645 shaft
> > horsepower!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These engines will run on just about any liquid
> > that
> > burns, such as diesel, unleaded, kerosene, and even used frying oil!.
Has