Mercedes fuel pumps

Martin Easterbrook martin_easterbrook at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 23 14:35:04 GMT 1999

Mike,

I've done this type of thing in work with some Porsche 911 Turbo fuel
pumps as a cheap way to get 20bar fuel pressure for some fuel injector
tests.

I burst tested a pump first (in a safety cell) to check if it would be
safe.  The burst pressure was 35bar.

I know of several people running series electric pumps on race cars to
get high fuel pressure (= better fuel atomisation from the injectors)
but I have never heard of a setup like this on a road car, as most
road cars only run 2.5 to 3 bar anyway.

I could see a point in connecting them in parallel, particularly for a
high capacity engine that needed a lot of flow.

I think the failure you saw is most likely to have been caused by a
faulty regulator or a blockage in the regulator reflow line.

Martin