Alternative engines

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Sat Apr 24 02:32:04 GMT 1999

Joe:
    you seem to be somewhat well versed in the matter of turbine
engines.  I'm curious about one thing here.  Several folks in the
experimental aviation community have tried to use APU engines for
power in light aircraft and had poor luck..... engine troubles.  I
have a theory on this.  From what little I can gather about it, and
I've not communicated directly with any of these people, it appears
that they are attempting to control turbine speed.  It looks to me
like these turbines are intended to wind up to governor speed and
operate at constant speed, and that they must have some sort of
governor system to control RPM as load varies as it must in a
generator application.
    My thinking is that the correct way to use one of these is to have
a controllable prop and operate at a constant RPM.... forget about
controlling RPM.... let the system operate as it was originally
intended and use the stock fuel control / governor system.  I strongly
suspect that the problems people have had originated from changing
RPM.
    Any comments on this??            H.W.