[Off topic] ABS & synthetic brake fluid

William T Wilson fluffy at snurgle.org
Sun Apr 25 04:42:10 GMT 1999

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Gary Derian wrote:

> Synthetic fluid, I think you mean the silicone variety, has two faults, it

Synthetic fluid is not the same as silicone fluid, although both are
synthetic.  Silicone (DOT 5) should be used only in systems that already
have silicone fluid in them.  It is best not to change between silicone
and non-silicone.

Synthetic, on the other hand (DOT 4.5) is comparable to regular DOT 3 or
DOT 4 glycol fluid and basically is just better than those.  Use this if
you want, it has similar properties but, I think, a higher boiling point.