[Off topic] ABS & synthetic brake fluid

James Ballenger jballeng at vt.edu
Mon Apr 26 06:04:47 GMT 1999

Lyndon Wester wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Was just cruising through these emails and ran across yours--do not replace
> DOT 3 for DOT5 fluid--they are incompatible. DOT 5 may have a higher boiling
> point, but requires more service, and the fluid is more hygroscopic. Another
> problem is your system design--it will not work properly with DOT 5 silicone
> fluid. You can go to a DOT 4 fluid--as it is the same polyglycol base
> product.
>
> Hope this helps.

    I was under the impression, after having read it in some mag, that dot 5
could be substituted in a dot 3 system.  The only catch is that the old stuff
would have to be COMPLETELY flushed out and cleaned out.  The dot 4 is higher
maintenence too right?  It absorbs more moisture "hydroscopic?"

James Ballenger