[Off topic] ABS & synthetic brake fluid

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Mon Apr 26 12:27:10 GMT 1999

DOT 3,4,5 are only levels of boiling points as specified in the Federal
Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.  DOT 5 is usually silicone fluid but does
not have to be.  It is now required that DOT 5 fluid be labeled silicone or
non-silicone.  Non silicone is generally referred to as DOT 5.1.

Silicone can be added to a standard system, it will not mix, it just works
along side the glycol fluid.  There are no anti corrosion benefits either
when used that way.  To get the anti corrosion benefit of silicone,  rebuild
the entire system.

All hydraulic fluids are compressible to some degree.  So are solids.
Silicone fluid does compress more than glycol.  It still makes good brake
fluid, though.

Now, does anyone know about the new DOT 4.5 synthetic fluids?

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>
> Lyndon Wester wrote:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > Was just cruising through these emails and ran across yours--do not
replace
> > DOT 3 for DOT5 fluid--they are incompatible. DOT 5 may have a higher
boiling
> > point, but requires more service, and the fluid is more hygroscopic.
Another