[Off topic] ABS & synthetic brake fluid

Peter D. Hipson mail at darkstar.mv.com
Mon Apr 26 17:41:39 GMT 1999

Dot 3 and Dot 5 don't mix... <g> Literally! One will sit on top of the
other. I understand that the brake components must have the correct seals
to use DOT 5, but since DOT 5 is so expensive, no one will use it without a
real need to. DOT 5 is *not* hodroscopic, does not absorbe moisture. For
that reason, DOT 5 doesn't need to be flushed on a regular basis, like DOT 3.

BTW, my truck uses DOT 5, and I can tell you that finding that stuff is a
real PITA! <g>

At 02:04 AM 4/26/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Lyndon Wester wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> Was just cruising through these emails and ran across yours--do not replace
>> DOT 3 for DOT5 fluid--they are incompatible. DOT 5 may have a higher
boiling
>> point, but requires more service, and the fluid is more hygroscopic.
Another
>> problem is your system design--it will not work properly with DOT 5
silicone
>> fluid. You can go to a DOT 4 fluid--as it is the same polyglycol base
>> product.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
>    I was under the impression, after having read it in some mag, that dot 5
>could be substituted in a dot 3 system.  The only catch is that the old stuff
>would have to be COMPLETELY flushed out and cleaned out.  The dot 4 is higher
>maintenence too right?  It absorbs more moisture "hydroscopic?"
>
>James Ballenger

Thanks,
        Peter Hipson (founder, NEHOG)
        1995 White NA Hummer Wagon