[Off topic] ABS & synthetic brake fluid

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Mon Apr 26 22:23:01 GMT 1999

>Dot 3 and Dot 5 don't mix... <g> Literally! One will sit on top of the
>other. I understand that the brake components must have the correct seals
>to use DOT 5, but since DOT 5 is so expensive, no one will use it without a
>real need to. DOT 5 is *not* hodroscopic, does not absorbe moisture. For
>that reason, DOT 5 doesn't need to be flushed on a regular basis, like DOT 3.

You DO still have to flush it occasionally--as posted earlier, water gets
into the system as the system "breathes"--via humidity in the air. The
water does not mix with the fluid, but it collects wherever in the system
that whim suits it, and then corrodes things, and also can boil or freeze.

Regards, Greg