Fuel injection plugs

James Ballenger jballeng at vt.edu
Tue Apr 27 20:15:05 GMT 1999

Gary Derian wrote:

> What is the point of direct injection?

Superb fuel atomization.

> All it does is make the operating conditions on the injector more severe.
> Direct injection requires injecting only during the intake stroke.

    Not if you inject the fuel into another high pressure air injector.  The
orbital version of direct injection works very very well imo.  The mixture that
is fired out of the air injector is supposedly below 10 microns 80% of the
time.  It makes for a super quick, clean burn.  They quote being able to run a
70:1 mixture at light load, dunno about that one though, and huge peformance,
emmissions, and fuel economy improvements.  They are making automotive
applications now too, sounds very good to me.
http://www.orbeng.com.au/index.htm
Though I'm not sure how to get my hands on a system like this one.

    James Ballenger