Direct Injection

Steve maxboost at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 28 16:02:30 GMT 1999

>Then - re-read about the Bosch System - which Horror of Horrors was a
direct
>adaption of Bosch Diesel systems and shared most parts.  Since they
injected
>the fuel after the intake valve was closed - well into the compression
stroke
>and these old krauts knew all about "atomization" and vaporization etc ad
>nauseum, they did not screw around with puffs of air or whatever - but
passed
>go, collected their 200 dollars and went to aiming the fuel spray right
onto
>the face of the exhaust valve - instantaneous fuel evaporation in a CLOSED
>cylinder and heavens to murgitoid, actually cooling the exhaust valve.

 I don't know about the aero engines, but according to Karl Ludvigsen's book
Mercedes-Benz Quicksilver Century, the 300SL's in the '50's used the
following setup:

"The final siting of the injection nozzles was able to take advantage of the
provisions made for the two different spark plug positions tried in the
300SL engine.  The spark plug remained in the cylinder head while the former
plug positions in the block, the ones used by the original 300 six, were
taken up (although in modified form) by the injection nozzles.  There they
sprayed from the hot side to the cool side of the chamber, across the face
of the valves, during the intake stroke."

And later he details information on the straight eight engine's injection.
"Selected was a point on the cylinder wall just below the inlet valve, with
the centerline of the nozzle angled upwards at 12.5 degrees.  It's spray
emerged in a 30 degree cone at a pressure of 1200 psi.  Flow began 30
degrees after top dead center on the inlet stroke and continued for 160
degrees."

Regards,

Steve