Fuel injection plugs

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Fri Apr 30 02:22:41 GMT 1999

Espen:
    This of course has been tried and is not very successful.  A more
ideal solution might be something akin to the variable displacement
engine built by Sandia Labs of Sandia New Mexico a number of years
back.  Idlers were used with a pivot point which could be varied and
resulted in variable stroke which controlled power output..... the
mechanism is somewhat similar in principle to how a Vice Grip
adjustment works.  I opened a Diesel injector pump of ancient vintage
from an old motor grader and found exactly the same mechanism used to
vary stroke on the injector pistons.
    The most reasonable way to control engine power output is by
gearing so that RPM is controlled by load.  A continuously variable
transmission system could allow an engine to operate at full throttle
all the time except at idle when it would need to be throttled.
Allowing the engine to always operate at WOT would greatly increase
efficiency.           H.W.