Fuel injection plugs

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Fri Apr 30 12:29:52 GMT 1999

Previously, you (James Ballenger) wrote:

> Howard Wilkinson wrote:
>
> >     The most reasonable way to control engine power output is by
> > gearing so that RPM is controlled by load.  A continuously variable
> > transmission system could allow an engine to operate at full throttle
> > all the time except at idle when it would need to be throttled.
> > Allowing the engine to always operate at WOT would greatly increase
> > efficiency.           H.W.
>
>     Ok, I know this isnt right.  If we had continously variable transmissions,
> we would be running them at peak torque not at wot.  VE is greatest at peak
> torque, the reason we rev engines higher to acheive high horsepower is to combat
> inefficient gearing.  At wot, there is significantly reduced ve and not enough
> time to get good mixture and combustion, therefore lower torque.  The reason
> this is an asset is because it produces more torque per unit time, ie power.
> With a continuously variable transmission we could run the engine all day long
> at peak torque and get double or triple the gas mileage, more power, and reduced
> wear.  Again, im just a student so tell me where i goofed but I have discussed
> this with others before and feel somehat confident that this is right.
>
> James Ballenger

years ago when the Subaru Justy came out and had the ECVT ( I worked at a subaru
dealer at the time) the engine would if you tromped on the gas would go up to
the peak of the torque curve and stay there. It was amazing, the damn things were
only a bit slowwer then a bmw M3 ( the dealer was also bmw and saab dealer). We
actualy had drags with the bimmer and saabs and the 3 cyl justy was at the top
of the cars we sold. The fuel economy was great just the lifetime of the tranny
wasn't so good. The ECVT was like a snowmobile pulley system but the belt worked
under compression, and there was a magnetic clutch that used iron filings to transfer
power. The othe funny thing was reverse was just an idler after everything else,
the early justy would go as fast in reverse as forward.