Fuel injection plugs

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Fri Apr 30 13:58:42 GMT 1999

>I like that idea.  A variable displacement hydraulic pump at the engine
>and four variable displacement pumps (one at each wheel), along with an
>accumulater would allow you to size the engine for the maximum sustained
>load (say 100 MPH up a 7% slope fully loaded).  Size the accumulater so
>that it can store enough energy to accelerate the vehicle's mass from 0
>to 100 MPH.

This is called a "hydrostatic drive" . A common implementation of it is on
the large snow cats which ski areas use as groomers for their slopes. I
think the big problem with it is that the drive's efficiency is low enough
that any gains in engine efficiency are negated.

DKW once built a little 2 cycle car with a variable speed belt
tranny--which was a bit of a curiousity.

Regards, Greg