atomization enhancement

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Fri Apr 30 23:03:22 GMT 1999

I'd like to propose a simple atomization enhancement strategy.  It is
well known that higher pressure results in better atomization in a
fuel injection system.... Caterpillar has carried this to extremes and
has some diesel engines running ungodly high pressures....I don't know
the exact figures.
    I propose changing out the injectors on my vehicle with injectors
rated for lower flow, and raising the pressure to compensate.
Pressure would be adjusted in "open loop" mode using an exhaust
analyzer.  It has been said that most injectors are rated at pressures
far above what they are operated at.
    I'm sure this is far from an original idea, and that some of you
have done it..... How much difference does it make, and what about
pump load at the higher pressures..... how much increase in pressure
is required.
    I'd like to hear about peoples experiences and mishaps doing this
;-)

                                                        H.W.