Camshaft Selection

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Apr 1 00:08:28 GMT 1999

>David,
>
>I'm running an old fashion Quadrajet. No electronics at all. (So why am I
>talking about it on the DIY-EFI list? More engine expertise here than
>anywhere else I've found.)
>
>Gwyn (W1BEL FYI)
>

>> Gwyn,
>> Not sure what engine management you have (ECM etc) but the Ford, Chrysler
>> and GM units have TONS of problems when you run Rhodes lifters..

Gwyn--

If you wanna spend a bit of money, and want more bottom end than you have
now, and also a bunch more top end, convert the puppy to hydraulic rollers,
with a rather short duration, but moderate lift cam, with fairly wide lobe
centers. Maybe 202/208 @ .050", .470/.485 lift, (I , then e in both cases)
with 112 degree lobe centers. A hydraulic roller grind with numbers like
this would prolly break U-joints at will in the lower gears with enough
weight in the bed of the truck (unless you upgrade to 1350's), and run
STRONG up to about 4800 if you have enough intake and exhaust (but not too
big a carby.) Run it straight up.

Plus--an HR cam like this will ALSO get you somewhat better mileage (town
and highway). (Although there is a certain assumption about position of
right foot being made here!!) :-)

Same sort of specs go for the guy who was talking about a cam for a 385
series Ford (429 cid) for a 4x4 the other day. For this one, mebbe try 113
degree lobe centers and two degrees advanced. (Shorter stroke here.)

Regards, Greg